Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Happy Birthday Duaner

I thought I'd take a moment today to wish my friend Duane a happy birthday. You know how there are some people that come into your life and you instantly feel like you've known them forever? Duane is one of those people.

We met when I started working at the TV station many years ago. We worked some shifts together but where we really connected was when we were on the same team for a company-wide scavenger hunt. Duane (and his then-fiance Debby) drove us around in their minivan - frantically solving puzzles, taking photos and racing around London.

After that, we started to chat more during our shifts and over time Duane became like a brother to me. He has always been great to listen to my issue-de-jour and provide his insight and opinion. Insights and opinions that I value and trust. He was one of the first people I talked to when 9-11 happened, coached me through many relationship twists and turns, listened to family drama, and has made me laugh. A deep belly laugh. He also shared in my excitement - whether counting down to a trip, purchasing my first home or accepting my new position and leaving TV behind me.

He has removed a dead mouse from my kitchen drawer, helped me move and inspired & encouraged me when I went back to school. He loves my hyper-expressive face and pushing my buttons.

Perhaps most importantly, he put my nightmare to bed when he agreed to run the sound at our wedding. I had multiple dreams that I got to the end of the aisle there would not be any music. Or worse, I had to run over and push play myself! Well, Duane (with assistance from his lovely wife Debby) took care of the audio/visual stuff at our wedding and kept things running smoothly.

Imagine my horror when I discovered the slideshow Devin & I had spent hours to put together would not work on the system the Elm Hurst provided. This was despite checking about that very thing the week before. I was so upset to think we couldn't share this with our guests. At the height of my emotion, Duane calmly asked for a key to my house and the password for my computer so that he could go and get the original file and sort out the details. I was overwhelmed. Talk about friendship!

Happy birthday Duane. Hope it's a great one.

No comments: