Sunday, March 23, 2014

#NoMakeUpSelfie

This week I've noticed a trend on social media. Women are posting pictures of "selfies" with no makeup. Supposedly, this act will promote cancer awareness. This does not sit well with me.

We are all aware of cancer. We do not need to be more aware of cancer. What we need to be more aware of is how to prevent cancer in the first place. Or at the very least, support someone we know that is going through such a horrible challenge in their life.

Perhaps I'm missing a major piece of the puzzle, but the way I see this trend is: an increasingly self-absorbed society pretending to do something good for others. From what I gather, the original (British) campaign #DareToBare solicited funds from a beauty retailer each time the hashtag was used. This newest (N. American) trend does not have a sponsor and is not raising money for anyone.

As someone that has been touched by this disease more often than I'd like to acknowledge, this #NoMakeUpSelfie trend has really riled me up. At first I just chalked it up to another social media trend but while discussing it with a friend tonight, I realized just how annoyed I was by it.

This weekend a friend of my family lost his battle with cancer. If you really want to make a difference in the fight against cancer, find someone that is going through it. Offer to help them in some way. It could be as simple as making a meal, driving them to an appointment, paying for a parking pass at the hospital or a pre-paid gas card. When you're battling the toughest challenge of your life, it speaks volumes when someone comes along side you and offers a helping hand.

Please think about this before posting your NoMakeUpSelfie online.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very well said, my friend.
Something to think about....
and thanks for the
recommendations on how
to share in someone's
life, who is hurting
from the tentacles of this
horrific disease.