Thursday, February 20, 2014

Old Friends

In less than two weeks, I'll be attending an epic concert. Paul Simon is teaming up with Sting for, what promises to be, a fantastic evening of solos, duets and song swapping.


I discovered Paul Simon during my high school days. More accurately, I discovered Simon and Garfunkel during my high school days. While browsing the Columbia House brochure (who remembers Columbia House?!?!) I decided to order Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits on cassette. That's right folks! Cassette!

I fell in love with the beautiful harmonies and the poetic lyrics. In fact, I think I wore that tape out.

I stumbled upon Graceland and Rhythm Of The Saints at a second hand music shop, and discovered Paul Simon's solo collection. I realized that although I loved the sound of S&G, it was really the musical genius of Mr. Simon that I admired so much.

In 1999, I heard that Paul Simon was touring with Bob Dylan. I was convinced this would be my last chance to see my favourite artist in person. At the time, I thought he was aging and would probably not play many more live shows. (Oops. Naivety of youth I suppose.) This excerpt from my scrapbook sums up my first show.

Yesterday was the big day and let me tell you, I was EXCITED. Bob Dylan came out first...but let's face it, I wasn't there to see Bob Dylan. Then I heard "Ladies and Gentlemen, Paul Simon". I grew weak, I grew slack, like he captured the breath of my voice in a bottle and I can't get it back. (see what I did there? PS lyrics!)

Since then, I've had the privilege of seeing Paul sing with Art Garfunkle, Brian Wilson, and several solo shows. Can't wait to add the Sting & Paul show to the list!


No comments: