Thursday, June 06, 2013

06/06

Today is June 6. Each year on June 6, I can't help but remember that it was on that date I lost my Grandma Mills. I was only 6 years old when she passed away, and I'm now realizing the impact that had on my young life.


At the time, I don't think I could emotionally process losing someone that played such a huge part in my life. She lived with us and I spent much of my pre-school years with her. I would put on puppet shows for her, play outside while she sat under the car port, we would colour or play hide and go seek (I had an advantage as she was in a wheel chair). Speaking of that wheel chair, I loved hanging on to the handles at the back and catching a ride.

To me, she was exactly what grandmas are supposed to be. She had long white hair that she kept wrapped up in a bun, hands that showed years of hard work and lots of stories from when she was a girl. She was born in 1902 so those stories were almost like fiction to me!

During a recent trip to Petrolia hospital, I had an overwhelmingly emotional moment as I walked past one of the rooms. I remember being in that room when my mom told me that Grandma had died. Thirty years later, it unexpectedly brought tears to my eyes. The same thing happens when I hear the hymn "The Old Rugged Cross". We sang that song at Grandma's funeral and it always stirs up emotions tied to that event.

Emotions can be so powerful. So can memories. I'm thankful to have the ones that I do.

No comments: