Thursday, July 21, 2011

Bruce

I have a friend and his name is Bruce. (ok...singing a Johnny Cash song in my head...) Bruce and I have been friends for a long time but I don't actually remember meeting Bruce, he's just always been around. We work together and just clicked as kindred spirits do. We have spent many breaks together either at the picnic table or in the lounge at our corner table with a view.

During these dinner-hour conversations I have learned a lot about Mr. Bates. I've heard stories of his childhood and how he met the lovely Mary Ann. We've discussed family - the good, the bad and the ugly. He has offered up fatherly advice and I have entertained him with tales of my frivolity. We have laughed together and cried together and I dare say, at thirty years my senior, he is one of my closest friends at /A\.

I was devastated when he told me about his cancer and relieved that he seems to have kicked it. He had a very understanding ear when I discovered my sister had cancer. He was the first person I showed my MLS listing to and the first to see my home the day I got the keys. He is also the office lottery coordinator, sending out updates when there's a big jackpot and collecting funds for the pot.


Bruce will soon be able to retire and spend lots of time at his beloved cottage, so Mary Ann hosted a party to celebrate. The party was on my moving day and if it was for anyone else, I wouldn't have gone. But, how could I miss? The setting was perfect! Their cottage overlooks Lake Huron and is gorgeous. The day was filled with outside games, fabulous food and great friends. Dinner was served at a long family-style table overlooking the lake and I got to sit beside the guest of honour!

The day will come when Bruce and I don't share our breaks at the picnic table, but I know that we will always be friends and look forward to the day he calls to tell me to do my "happy dance" :)

No comments: