Monday, June 22, 2009

Coolest Grammie on the Block


I have such a cool Grammie. Yesterday I went for a visit and was enthralled with stories from the past. She grew up in England, during the war. That's when she met my Grandad...a Canadian soldier. At just 19 years old, she got married and set off for a new life in a new country. She arrived, expecting a baby (my mom) but not expecting what was ahead of her. They moved to Sarnia and eventually Corunna and had all kinds of adventures while raising 6 kids in a small house that Grandad built himself. Adventures that included raising 3 pigs in the back yard, using an outhouse (her mother would have been horrified!) and learning all the new terminology these Canadians were using.

Grammie still lives in that house. Yesterday, it was so nice, we sat outside on the back stoop. To our left was the garage...where they lived while Grandad was building the house. In that tiny, 4 room building they spent some of their happiest days with 3 little ones. When #4 was on the way, Grammie said she wasn't coming home with another baby until they could move into the house. And they did!

I love listening to Grammie's stories, but I also love that she listens to me. She's not quick to judge and is always a soft shoulder to lean on. I see a lot of me in her and I like that.

Yesterday my cousin Josh came over and we all hung out. We ordered pizza for dinner and had lots of laughs. We were each sent home with a baggie of cookies and of course a big hug.

Do you have special memories with one of your grandparents? What are some of your favourite moments?

No comments: