Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Kitchen Makeover



Over the past week, I've been preparing and painting my kitchen. Wow, was it ever a big job! It all started when I started stripping the wallpaper. Yikes. It was super-hot weather and I have no air-conditioning. So, needless to say, this was not a fun job. However, I got it done and Wednesday night I started with painting the ceiling. I had taken Thursday & Friday off work, so the real painting began on Thursday. Priming, priming, priming...it took a long time! Fortunately, I have great friends... Bruce stopped by on Thursday afternoon and helped me get the priming done. Then I was ready to move on to the actual painting on Friday. I went from having dingy white walls (one with yucky wallpaper) and SMURF blue trim to having "brown teepee" walls, white trim and "bear rug" cupboards! Check out the photos, I love it!!

Friday morning, Elvin came over to help with edging and in the afternoon, Bruce returned and my friend Emily came over to help too! By Saturday I was in business...the walls & ceiling were done and the cupboards & trim needed a few more coats. (the cupboards actually took 3 coats of paint + a coat of primer) Emily returned and helped in the afternoon completing the very frustrating radiator.

By Sunday afternoon/evening, I was cleaning up, moving things back into place and enjoying the fruit of my labour. My roommate Jodi was away for the whole process and I was looking forward to seeing her reaction, but unfortunately, she beat me home last night, so I missed it.

This process has made me appreciate my job and the fact that I don't have to do manual labour...I'm afraid I'm a bit of a wimp.

No comments: